Monday, July 14, 2008

Dear You 13

I didn’t write to you for quite some time now, but that’s only because my life in Cyprus tends to be quite different than that in Thailand; more boring actually.
Since coming back my energy has dropped to half all the way; meaning: I write half as much as I used to write in Chiang Mai, read half as much and think half as much. I don’t know if I should blame it on the hot weather, or simply on the fact that when here I’m hardly inspired to do anything. It’s not that there are too many distractions; the truth is I’m completely focused in what I want to do. The problem is that I have no-one who can really understand what I’m trying to do and lend me a helping hand.
Yes, I know that writing is the path of the lonesome, but it wouldn’t hurt if there was someone I could talk with about my work, as there were in Chiang Mai.
Anyway, I shouldn’t complain really since, apart from that, I lead a quite easy going and creative life.
As far as writing is concerned I’ve just finished re-writing a novella, and I will start working on another one today. The first one is the story of an unwilling hooker that worked in Piraeus, Greece in the seventies, while the second talks about a love affair that went terribly wrong, shredding to pieces the lives of all the people involved.
What do I read these days? In the last couple of weeks I’ve read The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman and The Quest by Wilbur Smith (both excellent books, really) and I’ve just started Michael Connelly’s The Narrows. Probably J.R.R. Tolkien will follow with The Children of Hurin.
The novel I wrote last year, hopefully, will be published in Greece in October. Its current title is A Second Life, but most probably it will change.
Ok, that’s all for now. I hope you will enjoy the rest of the summer, while you keep on reading.
Cheers from the island of the sun.

No comments: