Monday, April 28, 2008

Dear You

Since I don’t seem to be able to write a proper post in this blog, I’ve decided to send you a letter. And it goes like this:

Here I am writing to you from my favourite city, Chiang Mai in Thailand.
Chiang Mai has been the city of my heart for quite some time now. It’s not that there’s something very special about it, it’s just that I really really like it. I like its walls and fountains and canals; I like its lovely temples and amazing chedis; and I simply love its huge Mae Ping River, its bookshops and its people.
Chiang Mai is one of those cities that you either love or hate. If you hate Bangkok you will love Chiang Mai. That’s exactly how it works. The latter is what I like to describe as a “Human City”. The way of life is quite easy going; there are hardly any people trying to lure you into buying things or services; the nightlife is great. And it’s an extremely safe place, as well.
Over the years I’ve met a score of people who came here for a weekend and ended up staying for the rest of their lives.
Chiang Mai is not just a city for crazy young tourists who just want to get drunk and have fun. It’s a city for one and for all; for crazy and drunk, sober and wise. You’d be surprised to see how many bookshops there are at its historic centre, around Tha Phae Gate square.
It is also a very cheap place to live at. You can get a room for as little as a hundred dollars a month, while the food is excellent and can be bought for dimes.
To wrap it all up in a few words: Chiang Mai is a great place to retire, but also an amazing city where you can easily spend your days UNTIL you retire.

Sincerely yours,

Lakis

p.s. Just to put things straight: I am not Thai, and I do not live or own a business in Chiang Mai. I’m from Cyprus, but I really like returning here now and again, to relax and “refuel” my mind’s batteries. In the photo: A view of the Sunday Market. Cheers!

1 comment:

Elias said...

Lovely!
I adore Chiang Mai, I've lived there ten years ago and I still dream of it.

How nice, you've posted all those tales. Thank you for taking the trouble.

สวัสดี!