Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Maria Polidouri - Only Because You Loved Me


I sing not but because you loved me
In times gone by.
And in the sun, in the summer’s waking wait
And in rain, and in snow,
I sing not but because you loved me.

Only because you held me in your arms
One night and you kissed my lips,
Only because of that I’m pretty as a lily in full blossom
And I can feel a chill running through my soul,
Only because you held me in your arms.

Only because your eyes have looked at me,
With their soulful gaze,
I’ve proudly adorned myself with my being’s
The ultimate diadem,
Only because your eyes have looked at me.

Only because as I was passing by you noticed me
And through your glance I saw drifting by
My delicate shadow, like a dream,
Playful and in pain,
Only because as I was passing by you noticed me.

Because kind of reluctantly you called for me
And you tended your hands for me to hold
And you had in your eyes that special blur
Of a love that of limits knows naught,
Because kind of reluctantly you called for me.

Because, only because it was dear to you
That’s why my passage was a thing of beauty.
It was as if you followed my every step,
Or as if you were passing somewhere nearby.
Because, only because it was dear to you.

Only because you loved me I was born,
That’s why I was given the gift of life.
In this graceless life the often unfulfilled
My life has found fulfillment.
Only because you loved me I was born.

Only because of your exquisite love
The dawn has filled my hands with roses.
To shine a light for a moment upon your path
The night has adorned my eyes with stars,
Only because of your exquisite love.

Only because so beautifully you loved me
I’ve lived, to make your dreams
Aplenty, you fair one that ruled my heart
And thus in peace I die
Only because so beautifully you loved me.

© For the translation: Lakis Fourouklas

Image taken from here

No comments: