Monday, June 16, 2008

Dear You 11

Here I am writing to you for the first time ever from Nicosia, Cyprus. What do I have to say? Nothing much really. I’m just trying to get back into my beautiful routine; meaning: reading, writing, drinking (not much). So far I’m well into the number one and three parts, and I think I will start writing again soon too. But first of all I have to read again all the short stories I’ve rewritten recently in order to spot any mistakes and thus get my manuscript ready to ship to Greece for yet another rejection by a publisher. Hopefully I’ll be able to do that by Wednesday, by which time, if everything goes well and my muse comes calling back, I will start working on my new novel again.
Now -the other important issue- the weather, is much better than I expected. It’s not as hot for Cyprus standards (currently just 340 C) and the nights remain pleasantly cool.
As for the dilemma I’ve mentioned in my last post I’ve figured that already out since I’ve started reading Michael Connelly’s “The Overlook”.
How about my flights home? Well, they worked quite fine apart from a short delay at Dubai airport, where the authorities for some reason decided to close one of the airstrips and so all the planes had to take off and land at the other one. Dubai is one of the busiest airports in the world and I just wonder what have happened to make them close the strip.
Oh, I’ve almost forgot what happened to me onboard the Cyprus Airways flight. Well, it took me too many tries and a long time to convince the flight attendants that I am a… Cypriot. You see I boarded the plane carrying a big plastic bag full of books in English and because of that they’d never even dare imagine me being a Cypriot. I had to talk to them more than three times in Greek before getting them to finally address me in that language. Well, I guess that’s bound to happen in a country where no-one seems to read.
Ok people, that’s all for today.
Greetings from the land of the sun.

No comments: