Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Has Michael Connelly lost his touch?

That is the question. And the answer is: I think he has! At least, as far as his last novel, The Overlook is concerned. Why do I say that? Well, probably because for the first time ever in a Michael Connelly book I knew almost right from the start who was behind everything and that didn’t quite sit right with my “principles”. I mean what kind of a mystery novel or thriller is this one if you can guess so easily who the mastermind behind the crime is?
I don’t know; maybe it’s just me. Maybe I know Michael Connelly so well by now that I can figure out everything before even reading it. But the thing is that didn’t happen with his previous novel, Echo Park, which makes me consider the possibility that one of my favorite crime writers is finally out of steam. I think it’s time for Detective Bosch to retire if he can’t inspire his maker any more.
Anyway, I will just give you the summary of the story, as is written in the background of the book, and leave it at that:

“In the early hours of the morning, Harry Bosch, is called to a crime scene. A physicist has been murdered in LA, and it seems the killer has no fear of publicity, leaving the body on the Mulholland Overview, a site with stunning views over the city.
But this is no random killing. Before he died, the victim turned over a quantity of a lethal chemical to his killer – and Harry knows he has more than just a single death to worry about.
Alongside the forces of Homeland Security, Harry must solve the murder or face unimaginable consequences…”

Being in the mood I am after reading this short novel (the shortest ever by M.C.) I will also duplicate the comment of Daily Mirror about the book: “Another classic by the best crime writer in America today”. I do wonder if the dear reviewer, whoever he or she is, has actually read the book.

No comments: