Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Banana Yoshimoto - Lizard Quotes

“It would be like dying.”
“What are you talking about?”
“If you lost your memory.”

“Memories are energy, and if they aren’t diffused they remain to haunt you.”

At some moment, it struck me that the village and my parents reeked of defeat, and that I did too. A village full of losers.

Something emanated from his being that seemed very familiar to me. I felt instantly repelled by him, but then, just as forcefully, irresistibly drawn to him.

He and I fit together so well, like the swirl on the yin/yang symbol – his tough resilience and my resilient toughness.

“Sounds great,” I agreed. I would go out with Akira and forget, for a brief while, the sorrow that clings to life. I would pretend for a moment that my sadness might someday disappear.

The only times that I had ever experienced such a circle of energy in a gathering of people –although it may seem irreverent to compare the two occasion- were the orgies with my favorite friends.

Somehow, I could never feel at ease. I felt so blue all the time, always distracted and thinking about someplace else, far away.

“It’s a blessing to have a spark in your soul, something wild.”

Sometimes that’s what happens with relationships that are too perfect. The only thing to do is to end them.

I would live and die, hopelessly ensconced in the cynical ways of the city.

No one can survive childhood without being wounded.

For the first time, I was able to step away from my imagined position in the center of the universe and see myself as part of something larger.

The river possesses the force to guide fate. I think that nature, buildings, and mountain ranges have some effect on our lives. Everything is intertwined and linked together…

Buy the book: Lizard

No comments: